Turn the classic sour cream coffee cake into a mouth-watering dessert with this fun chocolate chip cookie stuffed coffee cake recipe. Coffee cake is such a fun base to play with because it is so dense and delicious. After making a big batch of chocolate chip cookie dough for a different recipe, I had a bowl left over so I decided to experiment with a new recipe.
My friend recently hosted a brunch where I offered to bring something sweet for the group. I started brainstorming about dessert-type things that we eat for breakfast. While I love scones and doughnuts, I wanted to try something a little bit different. Why not combine two desserts for breakfast? I started with a plain cookie dough recipe that I baked into delicious, fluffy cookies. Then, I sliced the cookies into squares, eating some of the fresh bites along the way and saving the rest for this delicious cake. The cinnamon, brown sugar and chocolate chip cookies mix together in the center of the thick batter to create a layer of heaven inside the bundt cake. With a thumbs up from the girls at the party, I knew the recipe was a good one. Try it out here for your next brunch or even dinner party! The fun part with this cake is it can be good for any event, no matter the day or time.
Coffee Cake Stuffed With Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- A dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of sour cream
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- Five or Six chocolate chip cookies, cut into small pieces
- Nutella drizzle
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F and prepare a bundt pan with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla until creamy. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients and the sour cream to the wet mixture, alternating and stirring in between. This is important because it helps provide the fluffy, dense texture!
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and add sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon and a majority of the cookie chunks across the batter evenly. Save some of the cookie chunks to top the cake once it is baked. Cover the crumble with the rest of the batter and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes and check with a tooth pic to make sure it comes out clean. Depending on your pan, you may need another 10 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes and flip onto a plate or platter. Drizzle nutella on top and add the rest of the chocolate chip cookie chunks and serve!
Why is Coffee Cake called 'Coffee Cake'?
If you try out this recipe, you'll notice that coffee is not an ingredient in the cake. So where does it get it's name from? When we think of 'Coffee Cake', we usually imagine a thick yellow circular ring cake with some sort of streusel or crumble topping. These sorts of cakes originated in Germany and were often enjoyed with coffee in the morning or afternoon the same way that small cakes are enjoyed with tea. Whether lost in translation or just a nick-name passed from friends to friends, the ring-shaped cake with cinnamon and sugar crumble has arrived at it's name today as the Coffee Cake.
Try out this cookie stuffed coffee cake with a cup of coffee in the morning, or if you're having it for dessert, try it out with a glass of milk. It's almost like having a fancy version of milk and cookies!