I first saw this Peeps Easter Chocolate Flower Cake on Pinterest and had to try and replicate it. Sunflowers are one of my favorite things in the entire world because they are so happy, bright and bring cheer to the room. Cakes share some of these qualities, while they aren’t always bright, they certainly bring joy to a room.
Keep in mind that this recipe is an adaptation from Spend With Pennies, who I deeply admire. If you’d like to see the original version, head to her website by clicking here.
Now, let’s get to it! This recipe is super simple and you can make it even easier if you buy the cake mix and frosting from the store. Let’s face it, sometimes we get busy with work, friends, family and can’t spend hours in the kitchen crafting the perfect chocolate cake that will be gobbled down in minutes. While I prefer to make all my cakes and frosting from scratch, sometimes I just don’t have the time and end up buying a box mix. Don’t berate yourself for doing this! They designed them to taste delicious and then you have more time to decorate.
For this specific photo shoot I did to get some shots for the recipe, I used the chocolate cake recipe below and then ended up using store-bought chocolate frosting for the finish.
If you’re serving a bigger group, it could be fun to make 2-3 different cakes and use the pink and blue colored peeps as petals for those so you have a mini garden of Easter Flower cakes! This delicious and moist chocolate cake recipe will give you 3 cakes to do that with!
Easy Peeps Flower Cake for Easter
For the chocolate cake:
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp of baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 container of chocolate frosting
- 2-3 cups of chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp of baking soda
- 5 packs of peeps (or more depending on your cake size)
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare three 9-inch circular pans with butter by rubbing it around the pan making sure to hit the edges well and then sprinkle flour on top. You can also cut out a circle of wax paper to place on the bottom of the pan if you’ve had bad experiences with cakes sticking!
- Add the flour, baking powder & soda, cacao powder, sugar and salt to a bowl and stir the dry ingredients together until mixed together nicely. Then, add the eggs, warm water and buttermilk and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the oil and vanilla into the mix and beat on medium. Once everything is combined and the batter is smooth, pour it evenly into the 3 greased pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes and check with a tooth pick to make sure it comes out clean. Add a few more minutes if necessary and then cool on a wire rack until completely cool before icing.
- Place the cake on a plate you’ll be serving it on, (the tails of the peeps will hang off of the edge) and cover the cake in chocolate frosting leaving extra on the sides. Un-wrap the peeps and keep them stuck together in a line. Place them, heads up and tails down, around the cake. Lightly press them into the frosting so that they dry there and so there are no spaces between the rows of peeps.
- Carefully place chocolate chips in a circular pattern on top of the cake. You can play with the lay the chocolate chips lay to create more texture. Just make sure that each row they are facing the same direction.
This cake is best enjoyed right away because it is difficult to store with the peeps. I would recommend making it the day of the party or the night before.
Peeps have been around for as long as I can remember. They are fun to play with and incorporate into recipes because of their bright color. I hope you enjoy this fun and easy flower peep cake recipe.